Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What Is a Healthy Diet?

With little trouble and no extra cost, it is possible to turn an unhealthy diet into a healthy one. A healthy diet will taste very good as well.
I have a diet that is both inexpensive and very healthy. The most important foods in my diet are grains and starches (bread, rice, pancakes, pasta, and potatoes), which supply complex carbohydrates, unsaturated fat, fiber, protein, iron, thiamine, niacin, and riboflavin ...


With little trouble and no extra cost, it is possible to turn an unhealthy diet into a healthy one. A healthy diet will taste very good as well.
I have a diet that is both inexpensive and very healthy. The most important foods in my diet are grains and starches (bread, rice, pancakes, pasta, and potatoes), which supply complex carbohydrates, unsaturated fat, fiber, protein, iron, thiamine, niacin, and riboflavin. Vegetables are second in importance (onions, carrots, celery, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, and black olives), providing fiber, vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, phytochemicals, and monosaturated fat (from the olives). Fruits come third (bananas, apples, plums, grape juice, berries, pears, and oranges), providing carbohydrates and also fiber, vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, and phytochemicals. Fruits and vegetables overlap to some extent, so I eat more fruit when fewer vegetables are available and vice versa. Protein sources are the least important (grains actually supply most of my proteins), although these foods also supply some important vitamins and minerals. My order of preferable sources is almost the reverse of the popular. Beans (legumes) come first (low in saturated fat and cholesterol, high in other nutrients), low-fat diary products second (calcium and little fat or cholesterol), fish and seafood third (contain omega-3 oils and calcium, but also cholesterol), eggs fourth (high in cholesterol and fat), and chicken fifth (less cholestrol but more fat, even after removing as much as I can). If I was willing to eat beef, pork, and other red meats, they would would come sixth (high in cholesterol and saturated fat), and organ meats last (very high cholesterol). However, to avoid being a hypocrite, I must point out that I currently eat legumes much less often than I recommend and chicken more often. In actuality, I am eating as follows: legumes (about twice a week), dairy products (a small amount every day), fish (two or three times a week), eggs (one a day), and chicken (two or three times a week).Finally, I use some sweets, soft drinks and honey, which are not necessary. This study has helped me improve my diet, which I will explain at the end.

No comments: